Know your neighbourhood - 26: Sampangiramanagar, NR Road & NT Road

Overview: Sampangi Rama Nagar is a part of Central Bangalore covering JC Road, Richmond Circle, Kasturba Road, Nrupathunga Road and Palace Road, and in the midst of these roads is the Cubbon Park, serving as Bangalore’s lung space for decades. The area takes its name from the Sampangi Tank, where currently Sri Kanteerava Stadium stands. This area was one of the first areas to be developed during the British rule and also saw consistent development subsequently after independence. The heritage buildings in this area itself speak of the area’s history.

Sir Puttannachetty Town Hall: This municipal building was completed in 1935, and foundation stone was laid by the Maharaja of Mysore, Sri KR Wodeyar. This building is built in classical Roman architecture and named after the first President of Bangalore municipality, Sir Puttanna Chetty. The building was built by Sir Mirza Ismail, the Dewan of Mysore Maharaja. 

Sir Puttannachetty Town Hall

Corporation office: The Corporation office building stands just opposite to the Kempegowda statue (formerly Cenotaph location). The building has a clock tower, and also houses the first lamp post to be installed in the whole of Asia. The electricity was generated and was drawn from Shivanasamudra near Mandya in August 1905.

Corporation office
First lamp post at Corporation office

KG statue near Corporation office

Hudson Memorial Church: This 1904 church now stands at the junction of 6 roads making it one of the busiest places in the city. This church was built as a result of growing members of Canarese Wesleyan Chapel, which was functioning in the Pete area. The church is built on Gothic architecture with many donations from the members of the Missionary Society, and the materials were procured from various parts of South India.

Hudson Memorial Church

Beereshwara Temple: This is a medieval temple built by the Kuruba community probably in the 8th century according to the temple priest. The village was known as Sampigehalli and the area was used by shepherds for cattle grazing. Several Hero Stones were found around this area which tell tales on sacrifices made by few couples for the community. These stones were probably brought together and assembled around this temple in the 1900s.

Beereshwara Temple

Recreational Club (Now ICHR office): The red building at the beginning of Palace Road which is now home to Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR), was once a Recreational club, which hosted social gatherings for the British. The walls of the buildings are adorned by the pictures from the bygone era of Bangalore.

Recreational Club (Now ICHR office)

Race Course: Bangalore Race Course was founded in 1920 with an area of around 2000m in the heart of the city. The Race course is surrounded by several Government establishments, bungalows and restaurants. 

Race Course

Freedom Park: The erstwhile Central Jail, which was later moved to a different location, served as a place to keep the prisoners since the British rule. Now this has been converted into a public park with museum and protest areas.

Freedom Park

Daly Memorial Hall: An elegant colonial structure built in 1916 belonging to the Mythic Society, built with high arched doors and pediment windows.

Daly Memorial Hall
Central College

Unity Buildings
Ravindra Kalakshetra and Mysugar building

Other Posts in this series: 



























Comments

Popular posts from this blog

North Indian Sojourn-1 (Agra & Delhi)

Know your neighbourhood - 20: Places around HAL Road

Know your neighbourhood - 18: Doddagubbi, Hennur Road & around