Vijayanagar, once known as Hosahalli village, was formed in the 1960s. Originally had many workers from Binny Mills forming a township, the proximity to the city encouraged more people to move westwards. Attiguppe was an ancient village with the old Lakshmi Narasimha temple near the bus stand. The Chord road cuts through Vijayanagar and connects the entire western arc of the city. Vijayanagar is close to premier institutes like Bangalore University and National Law School. One by two is one of the favourite haunts for the locals for morning and evening snacks. Apart from this there are several eateries in this locality. Vijayanagar has also seen rapid developments in the last decade with the metro rail, modern bus terminus and underpasses being constructed. BHEL Electronics Division, was established in 1964, making Vijayanagar a prime location from the 60s. RPC(Railway Parallel Colony) Layout, recently renamed as Hampinagar, is an extension of Vijayanagar East.
The Lakshminarasimhaswamy temple in Attiguppe is believed to established by Rishi Durvasa, and was later renovated in the 17th century. This is the family deity of the shepherd community.
One of the most prominent landmarks of Vijayanagar is the Maruthi Mandir. Earlier known as Kothi Bande or ‘Monkey Rock’ as there was a rock on a hillock with lot of monkeys. A temple dedicated to Hanuman was built on the rock and subse- quently a full fledged temple was developed. This is now in the centre of Vijayanagar with Namma Metro rail line just above it. Vijayanagar is also known for its lush green look with trees lined on either sides of the Chord Road. Vidya Bharathi Library, set up in Vijayanagar in 1962, hosts a variety of books and is visited by people of all age groups to browse through the collection of magazines, books and journals.
|Kothi Bande-Maruthi Mandir|
|Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy temple, Attiguppe|
|Nagarabhavi Thorai, which joins Vrishabhavati river|
Karnataka Haridasa Scientific Research Centre in Vijayanagar aims at promoting Science and Spirituality through the means of theatrical performances, dramas and plays.
AngalaParameshwari temple: Around 4 kms from Vijayanagar on Magadi Road while travelling towards Majestic, a huge temple cannot be missed on the right side of the road. This is a temple dedicated to Angala Parameshwari, and is very crowded on special days like MahaShivaratri when a procession is carried out on the streets around Magadi Road. The devotees visit here to get rid of evil spirits.
Kanneli: The Veerabhadraswamy temple in Kanneli seems to be an old temple with Kadamba style shikhara and Ganga pillars, and the temple is also known for its annual fair and fire walking event. Adjoining this is the Chennigaraya temple, which has a 1330 CE record mentioning about the grants made by one Hayakasha to the deity Thirumalanatha of Kukkalanadu.
Another Hoysala inscription has been seen near Mahadevamma temple in Byadarahalli, installed in 1336 CE, with a few hero stones.
|Veerabhadraswamy temple, Kanneli|
|Veerabhadraswamy temple, Kanneli|
|Chennigaraya temple, Kanneli|
Around 15km away from Nagarbhavi is the Kamadhenu Kshetra, dedicated to Sri Raghavendraswamy and nearby is the Kambada Narasimha temple in Kammasandra, built in the 16th century as per the locals.
|Lakshmi Narasimhaswamy temple Kammasandra|
Just a few kms away from Vijayanagar is the Gali Anjaneya temple on Mysore Road. This temple was built along the banks of the river Vrishabhavathi in the 14th century and the idol was consecrated by Vyasaraja.
|Gali Anjaneya temple, Byatarayanapura|
Other Posts in this series:
Very nice writeup.. we usually not even think of these places while planning a one day outing :) but it's really exciting to know there are so many places worth seeing in our neighborhood...ReplyDelete
Thank you PramodDelete