Skip to main content

Know your neighbourhood-5: Bannerghatta Road

Overview: Bannerghatta forest is perhaps the most popular of all in Bangalore. It is a well visited tourist destination and offers wild life safaris as well. Just along the Bannerghatta forest is a cluster of villages like Ragihalli and Thattekere which is developing into a cyclers' paradise with photographers getting to spot several species of birds especially during winters.
Ragihalli Road
At the gate of Bannerghatta is the Champakadhama temple which was built during the Hoysalas in 1257 CE.  He built temples in the southern parts of the city like Anekal, Jigani and Haragadde. Several Kannada and Tamil inscriptions dating between 12th and 13th centuries can be seen all around the temple walls and floor. One such important inscription at the entrance wall of the temple mentions the name of a place Juguni (today's Jigani), which is described as a chief Agrahara of Gangavadi Nadu. A series of Atmabali stones can also be seen a few metres in front of the temple. Another inscription mentions the name 'Vanniyaraghattam', which became Bannerghatta. The Champakadhama temple is also considered as 'Madhya Narayana Kshetra' of Bangalore District. A short trek uphill from Champakadhama takes one to Suvarnamukhi, a beautiful pond which is believed to have medicinal properties. There is also a temple dedicated to Lakshminarasimha Swamy near the pond.
Bannerghatta National Park

Champakadhama Temple

Inscription mentioning 'Juguni'

Suvarnamuki Pond
Inside the wilderness of Bannerghatta forest, several Megalithic burial sites have been found and can still be traced near Ragihalli area. The burial sites are believed to be more than 3000 years old. The local Irula tribes still bury the dead in the same manner as was followed by their ancestors, by placing slab of rocks over the dead and covering the stone by smaller stones. Mysterious circular network of stones can also be spotted near Suvarnamukhi near Bannerghatta which may also date to Iron Age.
Mysterious Stone Circles

Pre-Historic Site
Hulimavu: The village of Hulimavu was earlier known as Amrapura as per the inscriptions found locally, later started to be known as Hulimavu, which translates to ‘sour mango’. The pre-historic cave at Hulimavu is several thousand years old where sages are known to have meditated. A legend says that Hulimavu was once under the king of Sarakeya(today’s Sarakki) and the king built the Kodandarama temple in the 17th century which was later renovated.in the 18th century. The natural cave at Hulimavu is a prehistoric dwelling and some Ash mounds were seen around the cave. Legend says that this was a place where sages used to meditate. Hulimavu also has an ancient Someshwara temple, renovated during the post-Vijayanagara times. Outside the temple in the courtyard, a broken image of Surya with Ganga features can be seen.
Hulimavi Cave temple

Hulimavu Someshwara Temple
Hulimavu Lake


Bilekahalli: In the midst of the crowded Bilekahalli just 2 kms north of Hulimavu is home to the 11th century Someshwara temple built by the Cholas. A part of the original structure is intact but is surrounded by a new set of walls.
Arekere: Just off Bannerghatta Road is a minor reserve forest called the Doresanipalya Reserve forest of around 40 hectares.
Gottigere: To the south of Hulimavu is the area of Gottigere, where one could see a beautiful Kalyani near Gali Anjaneyaswamy temple. This Kalyani has been now covered due to Metro construction.

Bilekahalli Someshwara Temple

Gottigere Kalyani
Doresanipalya Forest

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are NO Chola temples in Bangaluru. In fact, there are no Chola inscriptions in Bengaluru except for one at Kengeri (traditionally a part of Ramanagara).

    Someshwara Temples belong to the Hoysala period. Temple inscriptions of the period are often in Tamil as the Hoysalas had employed a few Tamils as Stanikas. This was earliest presence of Tamil in Bengaluru.

    During Haider Alis time an influx of Tigular community increased Tamil population and by 1890 census it had reached 4% of the total population.

    ReplyDelete

Post a comment

Popular posts from this blog

The forgotten story of a migration: Nacharamma of South India

This is a story of Nacharamma (fictionised by me to some extent), which is not documented in any inscriptions or ancient texts, but has been told by the ancestors of the community, and also been researched by some historians like M Keshavaiah, Dr Pranarthiharan and a few others.

Overview: Around the early 17th century, the Pilgrims set to sail across the Atlantic to become the first settlers of America. Much before this, a small but no less interesting migration took place in the Southern India of a community called the 'Sankethis'.
It was the summer of 1420 CE, in a place called Sengottai, in Tamil Nadu, along the foothills of the Western Ghats bordering Kerala. The place was flourishing with knowledge of the Vedas where Agraharams were set up. One of the prominent communities of learned people was the Sankethi Iyer community, also known as Sangeethi, derived from the name of the place- Sengottai or Shankotta. Another theory says that they were  The group followed Adi Shankara…

Clock Towers of Bangalore

Overview: In the middle of the 18th century, when home clocks and watches were not so common, there was the practice of having huge clocks on top of iconic buildings or religious places having visibility from all the corners. Clock towers were in fashion all across the globe in the 18th to 20th centuries, and some of them had bells as well, which used to ring at every hour. Bangalore too, has had its share of clock towers, though the city has never been known for its clock towers. The iconic Clock tower once stood at the Russell Market in Shivajinagar, which no longer stands today as it was brought down sometime during the middle of the 20th century.
A few standing clock towers can be seen at the City Market, Baldwin Boys school, Jayachamarajendra Polytechnic, Central College, Police training grounds, St John's Church, Corporation office and the newly constructed towers at South End circle and Omkar Hills. Most of these clocks have been provided by HMT.

Know your neighbourhood-3: Madivala, Agara, Koramangala, Bellandur

Overview: Now famous for high rises, branded showrooms and startups, the villages of Madivala, Agara, Koramangala and Domlur are the villages which have seen an ancient past.

Madivala village was a flourishing agrahara under the Cholas and Hoysalas. There is an ancient Chola era temple, which was later expanded by the Hoysalas behind the road opposite to the Silk Board. This Someshwara temple is of high historical importance, with Tamil inscriptions all along the outer walls of the temple. The most important being the 1247 CE inscription which talks about the grants of some lands near the big tank of Vengalur (2nd inscription of the city name after the one in Begur). This inscription is by an official Pemmataiyar of Veppur (Begur) for the deity Sembeshwaram (Someshwara) at Tamaraikkirai (Tavarekere).

Agara is situated at the junction of the ORR and Sarjapura Road, and is in existance since the Gangas. A 870 CE Ganga inscription mentions about the fixing of sluices to 2 tanks (Agara Lake…