Posts

Showing posts from August, 2020

Know your neighbourhood - 27: Bangalore Palace & surrounding areas

Image
Overview: Bangalore Palace was built in 1880s by Rev J Garret, the first Principal of Central High School. This was later bought by Chamrajendra Wodeyar at a cost of Rs 40000. The Wodeyars renovated the Tudor style Palace with exquisite woodwork and wall paintings. The Palace overlooks a vast colourful garden with fountains and trees. The Palace went into a dispute of ownership in 1970 with the Maharaja of Mysore HH Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar sold the property through fraudulent transaction and was under civil suit instituted by Srikanthadatta Wodeyar and some of the disputes are still pending with the Supreme Court. The Palace is built on the lines of Windsor Castle in England. The initial Palace grounds was spread to a vast area of 454 acres. However, the area was reduced when settlements came post Independence and the areas of Upper and Lower Palace Orchards were formed out of the grounds.

Just north of city centre, close to Cantonment Railway station, is the Jayamahal Palace. This w…

Know your neighbourhood - 26: Sampangiramanagar, NR Road & NT Road

Image
Overview: Sampangi Rama Nagar is a part of Central Bangalore covering JC Road, Richmond Circle, Kasturba Road, Nrupathunga Road and Palace Road, and in the midst of these roads is the Cubbon Park, serving as Bangalore’s lung space for decades. The area takes its name from the Sampangi Tank, where currently Sri Kanteerava Stadium stands. This area was one of the first areas to be developed during the British rule and also saw consistent development subsequently after independence. The heritage buildings in this area itself speak of the area’s history.
Sir Puttannachetty Town Hall: This municipal building was completed in 1935, and foundation stone was laid by the Maharaja of Mysore, Sri KR Wodeyar. This building is built in classical Roman architecture and named after the first President of Bangalore municipality, Sir Puttanna Chetty. The building was built by Sir Mirza Ismail, the Dewan of Mysore Maharaja. 

Corporation office: The Corporation office building stands just opposite to the …

Visiting the 'Shilpa-Kashi': Shivarayapattana

Image
Overview: Having a rich history dating back to the time of the Gangas from the 8th century, the quaint little village of Shivarayapattana in Kolar District is known as the 'Shilpa-Kashi' of Karnataka for the tradition of stone sculptors.The entrance to the village itself greets us with families busy in carving figures of Gods, famous Personalities, Animals and other figureheads. It is believed that the village sculptors can create beautiful images with designs from the Gangas, Nolambas, Hoysalas and Cholas using Blackstone found near Vemagal. Most of the orders from these sculptors come from the temples which are to be built or need renovation. Other images which we saw were of Basavanna, Mahatma Gandhi, BR Ambedkar and many others.



Know your neighbourhood - 25: Krishnarajapuram & around

Image
Overview: KR Puram had been a small hamlet on the way to Kolar, holding an interesting story. This village was a part of Ganga period during Sripurusha and evidence can be found in the Hero Stones or Veeragallu found at Krishnarajapuram town. An inscription near the Mahabaleshwara temple complex, now preserved in the Bangalore museum, mentions about the place 'Hosauru' and about one Mareya’s sacrifices for the protection of village. The name of the place was changed to Krishnapura from around 1816 during the Wodeyar period. The Yelemallappa Shetty lake is one of the biggest lakes in the city. KR Puram hosts one of the oldest markets in the city where farmers from Kolar and Mulbagal sell their produce. Also there are a couple of ancient temples near the village lake. 




A short distance from Krishnarajapuram is the village of Hoodi, where a few inscriptions have been found, the notable one near a Devi temple. This inscription dated 1332 of Ballala III, mentions about the grants ma…

Know your neighbourhood - 24: Majestic Area

Image
Overview: The Majestic area in Bangalore is probably the most popular of all areas in the city. Mainly because of the City Railway station, Bus stand, several cinemas. The areas of Subhashnagar, Gandhinagar, KG Road, Anand Rao Circle together can be clubbed to be called as Majestic. The area takes its name from the erstwhile Majestic theatre near Upparpet Police station where the old BTS buses used to stop. The buses no longer stop at that location but the main bus stand has taken its name.



The city Railway station at the western end was a part of Mysore State railways which was later connected with the Bangalore Cantonment station. The City Bus stand was built on Dharmabhudhi Lake bed and later was Subhashnagar grounds. There is also a small lung space opposite the KSRTC bus stand called Chikkalalbagh which has now shrunk in size due to the construction of Bangalore metro. KG Road/Dhanavantri Road on the other side of Majestic, was once popular for having maximum number of cinemas in …