Skip to main content

Know your neighbourhood - 8: Kadugodi, Whitefield & Varthur

Overview: Kadugodi, now at the heart of construction activities, was once an agrahara during the Cholas, and was known as Kadamangalam. In the 1342 CE Hoysala inscriptions found at Pattandur, this place is called as Kadugodi Sthala. In the heart of the village is the ancient Kashi Vishwanatha temple, and the deity is mentioned as Bangishwaram or Vangishwaram Udaiyar. Several inscriptions have been found in the temple, one of which speaks of a grant from Kulothunga Chola in 1150 CE.  In those days, this temple used to be on the banks of the river Dakshina Pinakini, which was active until as late as 1940s, and the British also built a bridge in Kadugodi over Dakshin Pinakini, and is still named as the British Bridge. Another ancient temple in Kadugodi is the Anjaneya temple, built in 1407 CE by Mallisetti. Kadugodi is also popular for Sathya Sai Baba’s ashram, established in 1960 by Sathya Sai Baba of Puttaparthi. It was the place where the Baba used to spend his summer months every year giving blessings to the devotees.

Kahi Vishwanatha temple, Kadugodi

British Bridge, Kadugodi
Old course of the river Dakshina Pinakini near Kadugodi

Sathya Sai Baba Ashrama, Kadugodi

Whitefield Railway Station, Kadugodi

Anjaneya temple, Kadugodi

Old village street, Kadugodi
Today’s Whitefield is known mostly for the global MNCs, Malls and traffic jams.But this place holds a very interesting history. In 1882, the Maharaja of Mysore, Chamaraja Wodeyar granted 4000 acres of land to the Anglo-Indian community which developed into a self sustaining village in the outskirts of Bangalore. Winston Churchill is known to have spent some days at Waverly Inn in the late 1800s. The town of Whitefield was built around the concept of concentric circles around a play area which still exits today. David Emmanuel Starkenburgh White was behind the design and development of the layout here, so the area was named after him. The initial layout settlement was planned in a very unique manner, introducing the concept of inner and outer circles. Winston Churchill once lived in a bungalow named ‘Waverly Inn’ in Whitefield. The entire village could be seen from the top of Kaolin hill having the Lady of Lourdes church at the base. This hill has seen the dramatic change of Whitefield skyline over the years.
Kaolin Hill, Whitefield

Waverley Inn, Whitefield (Where Churchill used to stay)

Outer Circle, Whitefield
Whitefield Memorial Church was built in 1886 by funds raised by Eurasian community on the three acre land gifted by the Maharaja of Mysore to build an inter-denominational church. The Whitefield railway station is on the Bangalore-Salem line so transportation to Madras was not difficult. Bullock carts used to ferry people from the railway station to Whitefield. Varthur is a south-eastern suburb of Bangalore, which is adjacent to Whitefield. The huge Varthur Lake absorbs all of Bangalore sewage via Bellandur Lake. There is a very ancient temple near the lake. Special celebrations and Dharmarayaswamy car festival is held annually.

Whitefield Memorial Church
Varthur, on the southern end of Whitefield, was also one agrahara found by Ganga Erayapparasa. As recorded by inscription in the lake bed by one Bana Anniga of Morasunadu, Varthur Lake dates back to the Ganga era. Special celebrations and Dharmarayaswamy car festival is held annually in Varthur. In the outskirts of Varthur in the area of Sorahunase, there is an ancient Someshwara temple, with a beautiful Kalyani, which is now renovated. There are some Hero Stones outside the temple. Around 3 kms from Varthur is the village of Gunjur, which is recorded as Kunjiyur in Hoysala inscriptions. Gunjur was also one agrahara and has an ancient Someshwara temple, now completely in ruins.

Varthur Lake

Dharmarayaswamy temple, Varthur
Someshwara Temple, Sorahunase

Ruins of Someshwara temple, Gunjur

Comments

Post a comment

Popular posts from this blog

The forgotten story of a migration: Nacharamma of South India

This is a story of Nacharamma (fictionised by me to some extent), which is not documented in any inscriptions or ancient texts, but has been told by the ancestors of the community, and also been researched by some historians like M Keshavaiah, Dr Pranarthiharan and a few others.

Overview: Around the early 17th century, the Pilgrims set to sail across the Atlantic to become the first settlers of America. Much before this, a small but no less interesting migration took place in the Southern India of a community called the 'Sankethis'.
It was the summer of 1420 CE, in a place called Sengottai, in Tamil Nadu, along the foothills of the Western Ghats bordering Kerala. The place was flourishing with knowledge of the Vedas where Agraharams were set up. One of the prominent communities of learned people was the Sankethi Iyer community, also known as Sangeethi, derived from the name of the place- Sengottai or Shankotta. Another theory says that they were  The group followed Adi Shankara…

Clock Towers of Bangalore

Overview: In the middle of the 18th century, when home clocks and watches were not so common, there was the practice of having huge clocks on top of iconic buildings or religious places having visibility from all the corners. Clock towers were in fashion all across the globe in the 18th to 20th centuries, and some of them had bells as well, which used to ring at every hour. Bangalore too, has had its share of clock towers, though the city has never been known for its clock towers. The iconic Clock tower once stood at the Russell Market in Shivajinagar, which no longer stands today as it was brought down sometime during the middle of the 20th century.
A few standing clock towers can be seen at the City Market, Baldwin Boys school, Jayachamarajendra Polytechnic, Central College, Police training grounds, St John's Church, Corporation office and the newly constructed towers at South End circle and Omkar Hills. Most of these clocks have been provided by HMT.

Know your neighbourhood-3: Madivala, Agara, Koramangala, Bellandur

Overview: Now famous for high rises, branded showrooms and startups, the villages of Madivala, Agara, Koramangala and Domlur are the villages which have seen an ancient past.

Madivala village was a flourishing agrahara under the Cholas and Hoysalas. There is an ancient Chola era temple, which was later expanded by the Hoysalas behind the road opposite to the Silk Board. This Someshwara temple is of high historical importance, with Tamil inscriptions all along the outer walls of the temple. The most important being the 1247 CE inscription which talks about the grants of some lands near the big tank of Vengalur (2nd inscription of the city name after the one in Begur). This inscription is by an official Pemmataiyar of Veppur (Begur) for the deity Sembeshwaram (Someshwara) at Tamaraikkirai (Tavarekere).

Agara is situated at the junction of the ORR and Sarjapura Road, and is in existance since the Gangas. A 870 CE Ganga inscription mentions about the fixing of sluices to 2 tanks (Agara Lake…