Skip to main content

Know your neighbourhood -1: A walk inside Bangalore Pete

Bangalore Pete was the city established by Hiriya Kempegowda in the 16th century. It is the area which was enclosed within the mud fort which was built around the same time. The mud fort was later replaced by a stone wall. A walk into the old Pete gives one the glimpse of the different lanes established by Kempegowda based on the occupation of the traders, like Aralepete, Akkipete, Chikpet, Doddapete, etc.
Balepet Main Road
Some of the very old temples, built during the Vijayanagara kingdom under the chieftainship of Kempegowda can be seen still today.
The Doddapet or Avenue Road as it is called now, because it used to be lined with trees on both sides. One can see various old book vendors all along the Avenue road, alongside old temples built by different communities. The same road leads to the Dharmarayaswamy temple, of the Karaga fame belonging to the Thigala community.
Dharmarayaswamy temple

Along side the southern entrance of the Pete, in the Chikkalalbagh area, is the Prasanna Krishnaswamy temple in'. Tulasi Thota, built by the Mysore Maharaja in 1844. This temple was earlier known as 'Kalyanapuri'. In Balepet, alongside many small temples is a unique temple dedicated to the Vanara king Sugreeva. At the end of the Balepet gate is the Kashi Vishveshwara temple and Kedareshwara temple, built by Sadashiva and Ganesha Sahuji respectively.
Along the OTC Road is the Manji Someshwara temple, built in the mid 19th century by the Dewan of Kodagu called Manjayya.
                                                 Sugreeva temple
Tulasi Thota
Ranganathaswamy temple
Belli Basavanna, Manji Someshwara, Kedareshwara temples
At the junction of Cottonpet is the dargah of Tawakkal Mastan Shah, a sufi saint and a mason during Haidar Ali's time. This dargah is popular since then and is visited by people from all communities. At Taramandalpet stands the oldest mosque in Bangalore originally built in the 17th century. The area itself is named as Taramandalpet by Tipu Sultan since this was where his men produced rockets.
The Rice Memorial Church is located in the busy Avenue Road. It is named after Rev. Benjamin Holt Rice, a missionary of the London Missionary Society (LMS), a Canarese scholar and a pioneer of education in the Bangalore Pete region. The church stands on the site of the London Mission Canarese Chapel built by Rev. Rice, which itself was built on the site of the first Canarese chapel built by William Campbell in 1834.

Tawakkal Mastan Dargah

Balepet Circle

Sangeen Jumma Mosque

Rice Memorial

Other than the heritage structure, the Pete area is a shopper's paradise, with Silk Sarees in Chikpet, Book stores in Avenue road, Garadi Manes, Cinema halls and flowers&vegetables at City market. One can still feel the vibes of Kempegowda's capital in the Pete area.

Anjaneya and Chennakeshava temples

Chikpet Street

SP Road

Chikpete-Doddapete junction

Next in the series:

Know your neighbourhood -2: Kengeri, Bangalore


Post a comment

Popular posts from this blog

The forgotten story of a migration: Nacharamma of South India

This is a story of Nacharamma (fictionised by me to some extent), which is not documented in any inscriptions or ancient texts, but has been told by the ancestors of the community, and also been researched by some historians like M Keshavaiah, Dr Pranarthiharan and a few others.

Overview: Around the early 17th century, the Pilgrims set to sail across the Atlantic to become the first settlers of America. Much before this, a small but no less interesting migration took place in the Southern India of a community called the 'Sankethis'.
It was the summer of 1420 CE, in a place called Sengottai, in Tamil Nadu, along the foothills of the Western Ghats bordering Kerala. The place was flourishing with knowledge of the Vedas where Agraharams were set up. One of the prominent communities of learned people was the Sankethi Iyer community, also known as Sangeethi, derived from the name of the place- Sengottai or Shankotta. Another theory says that they were  The group followed Adi Shankara…

Clock Towers of Bangalore

Overview: In the middle of the 18th century, when home clocks and watches were not so common, there was the practice of having huge clocks on top of iconic buildings or religious places having visibility from all the corners. Clock towers were in fashion all across the globe in the 18th to 20th centuries, and some of them had bells as well, which used to ring at every hour. Bangalore too, has had its share of clock towers, though the city has never been known for its clock towers. The iconic Clock tower once stood at the Russell Market in Shivajinagar, which no longer stands today as it was brought down sometime during the middle of the 20th century.
A few standing clock towers can be seen at the City Market, Baldwin Boys school, Jayachamarajendra Polytechnic, Central College, Police training grounds, St John's Church, Corporation office and the newly constructed towers at South End circle and Omkar Hills. Most of these clocks have been provided by HMT.

Know your neighbourhood-3: Madivala, Agara, Koramangala, Bellandur

Overview: Now famous for high rises, branded showrooms and startups, the villages of Madivala, Agara, Koramangala and Domlur are the villages which have seen an ancient past.

Madivala village was a flourishing agrahara under the Cholas and Hoysalas. There is an ancient Chola era temple, which was later expanded by the Hoysalas behind the road opposite to the Silk Board. This Someshwara temple is of high historical importance, with Tamil inscriptions all along the outer walls of the temple. The most important being the 1247 CE inscription which talks about the grants of some lands near the big tank of Vengalur (2nd inscription of the city name after the one in Begur). This inscription is by an official Pemmataiyar of Veppur (Begur) for the deity Sembeshwaram (Someshwara) at Tamaraikkirai (Tavarekere).

Agara is situated at the junction of the ORR and Sarjapura Road, and is in existance since the Gangas. A 870 CE Ganga inscription mentions about the fixing of sluices to 2 tanks (Agara Lake…